I think everyone was under the mistaken illusion that John Kelly was protecting the US from Trump. Here is his record. It ain’t pretty.
Courtesy of ACLU:
- As the General in charge of the Guantanamo Bay Detention facility, Kelly publicly criticized efforts to close Guantanamo (Source) and was accused by Obama Administration officials of working to undermine the President’s efforts to close the facility. (Source)
- Opposed and publicly criticized the integration of women into military ground combat units, arguing it would lead to lower standards. (Source)
- Defended the use of “enhanced interrogation techniques”, such as waterboarding and rectal feeding. Kelly went on to dismiss the criticisms of human rights groups as “foolishness”. (Source)
- Testified in support of an officer caught urinating on talibani corpses. (Source)
- Supports the imprisonment of terror suspects without trial. (Source)
- Criticised by Amnesty International for his “unsafe and inhumane” treatment (Source) of Guantanamo detainees on hunger strike to protest their imprisonment. (Source)
- Supports the war on drugs and opposes legalization or decriminalization of any drugs, including marijuana. (Source)
- A proponent of border security, Kelly believes that “no wall will work by itself” and has warned about the “existential threat” that unchecked migration poses for the nation. (Source)
As you can see, he fits in rather nicely with Trump’s policies. Quelle surprise! And we thought he was going to save the world.
According to Crooks and Liars angry vets are calling Kelly “Blue Falcon.”
That ratbag has still not apologised to Frederica Wilson. She attended the funeral of Army Sgt. La David Johnson today while Trump golfed and then pulled out his phone and started tweeting.
He sounds worried. Good. I still want to know what happened in Niger.